Winter squash is so easy and hearty just prefect for cold wintery days. One of my favorite winter squash is the Delicata. These handsome squash are perfect in size for one or two people and have a delicate flavor to pair with simply everything. Plus they are packed with ample beta carotenes, vitamin C, iron and calcium ta-boot. What’s not to like right? This is a great side-dish or super yummy for breakfast!
- 6 strips of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon (my favorite is US Wellness Meats sugar-free bacon!)
- 1 C Kale – hand shredded with steams removed
- 2 Delicata squash (small to med sized ones) – Pre-cook day or so before if making for breakfast.
- ¼ t Allspice
- 4 T Butter (pasture butter or organic butter is best)
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon to desired doneness – I like mine just before crispy. Take out and set aside for moment.
- Add kale to bacon grease, turn heat down to low-medium. Toss around pan until just starting to wilt (approx. 2 mins).
- Add pre-cooked and mashed delicata squash, allspice and salt and pepper to taste
- Cut or crumble bacon, stir together, cover and check to see if warm in 2-3 mins
Serves 2 people for breakfast or 3-4 for a side dish