Do you ever feel like cold and flu season is just a never ending round of sniffles, coughs, and tummy aches? Everyone around you is coughing, sneezing, and spreading germs. Did you know you do not get colds, flus or pneumonia because of the bacteria and viruses that constantly surround you; you get them because a weakened immune system reduces your body’s ability to protect itself and stay healthy. So let’s supercharge your immune system naturally from within.
We find the following 5 treatments and habits help lessen the number of illness one experiences through the year. These are all safe, natural, and affordable options for you and your family!
- Immuplex is a nutrient whole-foods based supplement from Standard Process that we have available for people at the clinic. Immunplex is a powerful one-two punch when it comes to building an immune system. It is full of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, Zinc, and many other bits that feed and build your immune system. It also has the support for your immune system organs like bone for building white blood cells and the thymus which power up your T-Lymph cells that fight off invaders. Don’t just take our word for it; check out this paper outlining some 2009 research on Immuplex.
- Healthy Daily Food Choices go a very long way to helping build and keep the immune system alert and strong. Of course there is so much confusion about what is a healthy diet. Think real, whole, fresh. If is cannot be pronounced, comes in a bag or from a drive up, it is not likely an immune system building option. Go with lots of veggies, nuts, seeds, clean meats, some fruits and lots of clean water should make up around 90% of your daily intake. Eating sugar or high starch foods can lessen your immune system response. So too can any food sensitivities you may have as your immune system has to spend a large amount of energy responding to the sensitivity instead of germs and the like.
- Regular Exercise in just the right amount reduces mental and physical stress, elevates mood, raises body temperature, and encourages overall health and wellbeing. Physical activity can help flush foreign germs and bacteria out of the lungs and airways too. This may reduce your chance of getting a cold, flu, or other illness. Be sure to move often, even walking counts, several times per day with light to moderate intensity. That will keep your body healthy and your immune system strong. If you are a workout maniac, know that overdoing it can be just as bad as not moving at all. Specifically, too much or too hard of a workout raises levels of norepinephrine and cortisol, two “stress hormones” that tend to suppress the immune system.
- Sleep is important for so many reasons and one of them is for a healthy and strong immune system. During sleep, your immune system releases proteins called cytokines, some of which encourage sleep. Certain cytokines need to increase when you have an infection or inflammation, or when you’re under stress. Sleep deprivation may decrease production of these protective cytokines. Additionally, infection-fighting antibodies and cells are reduced during periods when you don’t get enough sleep. Make a plan to go to bed at an hour that allows for 7-9 hours of sleep without interruption for super strong immune system.
- Regular Chiropractic Care can be a big immune system supporter and builder. Recent research demonstrates that our nervous system plays an integral role in regulating our immune response. We know from years of working with patients that regular Chiropractic Adjustments are beneficial for helping to keep patients’ immune systems strong.
For example, a research paper compared children raised by Doctors of Chiropractic and children raised by Medics. Guess what? Children raised under chiropractic care were less prone to infectious processes such as otitis media (ear infections) and tonsillitis. These children had stronger immune systems and were also better able to cope with allergens such as pollen.
Adults also benefit too. Multiple studies have measured the effect of Chiropractic Adjustments on the immune system and have shown that Chiropractic Adjustments can influence T and B lymphocyte counts, NK (natural killer) cell numbers, antibody levels, phagocytic activity and plasma beta-endorphin levels. In another study, the effect of specific spinal adjustments on the immune system was measured by looking at CD4 cell counts of HIV positive individuals as measured by CD4/mm3 in the blood. The CD4 cells, or T-helper cells, are the immune cells that are attacked in HIV patients.
Both of the control groups, one receiving placebo adjustments the other receiving no adjustments, each experienced about an 8% decrease in CD4 cell counts over a six month period, while the group receiving real chiropractic adjustments experienced a 48% increase in CD4 cell levels over a period of six months. Although chiropractic adjustments helped to greatly improve the ability of seriously ill people with HIV to fight disease, other studies have shown that it (Chiropractic Adjustments) should not be restricted to the sick when it comes to improving immune function.
What this tells us is that an optimal spine and nerve system = a powerful immune booster! Pretty cool and safe too.
Try these treatments and follow those basic daily habits to sow the seeds of a strong immune system. Now, if you find yourself knee deep in a cold or flu, call and ask how we can help. There are several safe and wonderful nutrients, herbs and natural treatments to help reduce the severity and duration of a cold, flu, or other illness. Strong Immune System = Healthy, Happy You!